Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Left for Dead

      My book report was about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis, a warship during WWII. It's considered one of the greatest naval tragedies in histroy, but until I read this book I had never heard of it. I learned a lot about subwarfare during WWII from this book. I always new Japan was involved, but this book really explained what was going on at the time. I also learned about a boy who was researching the Indianapolis. He fought  to the clear the name of the captain who was blamed for the sinking of his ship. Also, the book gave me an idea about what is like for the men on the ship when it sank. Parts of it were written in first person from interviews with survivors. It was really interesting to hear what they had to say.

2 comments:

  1. Great reflection! Seems like a really interesting book- I do not know much about this event either. Because I am now hooked- the title Left for Dead- what is that referring to? The crew that waited for assistance after the cruiser was sunk? And the interviews- they talk about their personal experiences during the war or when they got home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds cool, I'm always interested in sinking boats, probably because of the Titanic :) But anyways, I think it would be so helpful to hear those first person accounts, so you really know what it's like, without the bias of a historian telling what happened instead. Also, I agree with Miss. Richardson, the title is very mysterious and exciting!

    ReplyDelete